Positive material identification
Positive material identification is a rapid, non-destructive process that provides a semi-quantitative chemical examination on a variety of parts and assets. It is used for both material identification and verification.
The technique is utilised for production, asset integrity management, quality control, and safety compliance in a wide range of industries, including oil and gas, power, chemical, pharmaceutical, nuclear, aerospace, and fabrication.
Manufacturing potential product failure can be avoided with accurate material identification. Pre-service and in-service PMI inspection of important parts and welds at oil and gas, power generating and pharmaceutical plants can stop breakdown and its expensive effects.
- Verify that the right alloy was used to create the products or components.
- Find alloys that may have been combined
- Determine if the incorrect materials have been utilised.
- Make sure the material complies with the appropriate standard and specification (both for the customer and the industry).
- Verify that the proper filler material was utilised in welded components.
Positive material identification is performed using either of the two techniques below:
- X-ray Fluorescence (XRF) analyser: The hand-held equipment’s portability makes it possible for the company to do PMI on-site at our customers’ locations, making it the most popular approach. The tool scans the metal and detects its essential components. It is unsuitable for the identification of pure carbon steel materials and is unable to identify carbon and some lighter components.
- Optical Emission Spectroscopy (OES): Almost any form of element, including carbon, lighter elements, and carbon steel, can be found using this procedure. With the right lifting systems, the equipment may be transported to sites and utilised at high altitudes even if it is not as portable as XRF analysers.
Highly skilled PMI inspectors from the company are able to deliver results immediately after which they can be certified in a report. We also analyse the data and offer recommendations.
Additionally, our quick turnaround times guarantee that we stick to your production or inspection deadlines, and if additional analysis is necessary to confirm results, the company can offer completely quantitative laboratory techniques.
By turning to us for positive material identification, you can be sure to receive a quick, dependable service with precise results that will offer Total Quality Assurance that your assets or goods fulfil the essential requirements for quality and safety in today’s markets and sectors.